Chicken Spring Rolls
Crunchy, tasty, sweet, sour spring rolls..... What are you waiting for?
20 - 25minutes
8 - 10minutes
- 16 Sheets of Spring Roll Pastry Sheets
- 500 ml of Vegetable Oil (for frying)
- 2 Egg Whites
- 400 Grams of Confit Duck (Shredded and bone removed)
- 3 cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 1 Small knob of Ginger (Fresh) (Finely grated)
- 1 tbsp of 5 Spice
- 80 Grams of Shitake Mushrooms
- 1 Carrot (Chopped Julienne)
- 8 Spring Onions (Chopped on the diagonal)
- 50 ml of Soy Sauce
- 30 grams of Hoi Sin Sauce
- 1 Red Chilli (De-seeded and finely diced)
- To make the filling for the spring rolls, heat a wok or a large frying pan and add the oil. Once hot add the ginger, mushrooms, garlic and chilli and cook for a couple of minutes, keep the pan moving then add the soy sauce, Chinese five-spice powder, beansprouts, spring onions and carrot and cook for a further minute, add the chicken, hoi sin sauce and finish with freshly chopped coriander transfer to a dish and let this mixture cool before using it.
- To assemble the spring rolls, arrange one spring roll wrapper so that the corners are pointing upwards, downwards and to the sides, then a second one pointing in the same direction overlapping the first one, seal the 2 together by brushing egg white and pressing to seal, spoon 2 teaspoons of filling near the bottom corner about 2cm from the edge, make sure the filling is cool but not too wet, roll the wrapper over the filling, squeezing any air out as you roll away from you. As you reach the middle bring the 2 side corners to the middle, making sure they overlap. Continue to roll and tuck the top edge in and seal it with a little of the beaten egg white.
- Fill a deep-fat fryer or a large, deep, heavy-bottomed pan two-thirds full with vegetable oil. Heat the oil to 180C (DO NOT LEAVE UNATTENDED) Deep-fry the spring rolls in batches for 5-6 minutes swishing them in the fryer until golden-brown. Remove and drain on kitchen paper, serve with Linghams sweet chilli sauce and our very own Cranble Honey and lime dipping sauce
You need to login to add me to your cook book! Login here.