Badass Bombay Burgers
A delicious vegan burger served with a punchy salsa!
30 - 45minutes
20 - 30minutes
- 1 whole of Beef Tomato (sliced)
- 1 whole of Baby Gem Lettuce (sliced)
- 4 sliced of Burger Buns (vegan or otherwise)
- 1 bunch of Coriander (fresh)
- 3 tbsp of Palm Sugar
- 2 tbsp of Cider Vinegar
- 2 large of Tomatoes (diced)
- 1 tbsp of Tandoori Paste
- 1 whole of Red Onion (sliced)
- 1 tsp of Mustard Seeds
- 100 grams of Plain Flour (to dip into)
- 1 quarter tsp of Chaat Masala Powder
- 1 quarter tsp of Coriander (Ground)
- 1 quarter tsp of Cumin
- 1 quarter tsp of Turmeric
- 1 half tsp of Red Chilli (chilli flakes)
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1 half tsp of Cumin Seeds
- 3 tbsp of Vegetable Oil
- 1 tin of Chickpeas
- 250 grams of Mushrooms
- 2 whole of Maris Pipers
- Start by preparing the burger patties. Peel and chop the potato into cubes then set to boil until soft and ‘mashable’
- Whilst the potatoes are boiling, using a food processor, coarsely chop the chickpeas, and then separately mince down the mushrooms and garlic cloves
- Once the potatoes have boiled until soft, drain and mash well.
- In a mixing bowl, place the mashed potatoes, the minced mushroom and garlic, the chopped chickpeas, the vegetable oil, cumin seeds, red chilli flakes, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, chaat masala powder and season with salt and pepper
- Form the mixture to make equally sized and shaped patties. Place the patties on a tray and allow to chill in your fridge to firm up
- Whilst the patties are chilling, make the Badass burger relish. Chop the red onion and the 2 onions to a medium dice
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat 2 tbsp oil and sizzle the mustard seeds for 1 minute. Once the mustard seeds have popped, add in the diced onion and a pinch of salt and fry gently for 5 minutes until soft.
- Once the onions have softened, add in the Tandoori paste and stir in well, fry for 2 minutes. Next add in the chopped tomatoes and mix all the ingredients together well. Fry for 5-6 minutes and allow the tomatoes to soften and melt.
- Whilst the tomatoes are melting, roughly chop the bunch of coriander and set aside until required shortly.
- When the tomatoes have melted and the mixture has formed a sauce base, add in the cider vinegar and palm sugar and allow the mixture to simmer together for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Check and correct the seasoning of the relish and then add in the chopped coriander. Mix in well, remove the pan from the heat and leave covered aside until required to serve on the burger
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC
- Once the relish is done, prepare the rest of the burger components, start by carefully dipping the burger patties in the flour and coating all over. Heat 4tbsp of oil in a frying pan, when hot place in the burger patties and fry on each side for 2 minutes until golden brown. Gently drizzle over some hot oil to coat and seal the sides of the patties too.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment and gently place on the burger patties. Place the tray in your hot oven to to bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Whilst the burger patties are baking, prepare the salad garnish; remove the lettuce leaves and gently wash. Wash and thinly slice the beef tomato and red onion.
You need to login to add me to your cook book! Login here.