Roasted Pheasant, Baby Leeks and Port Sauce
Awesome 1 pan roast for when these bad boys are in season....
20 - 25minutes
45 - 50minutes
- 4 Baby Leeks (trimmed and cleaned)
- 1 Pheasant (Cleaned and oven ready)
- 6 rashers of Smoked Streaky Bacon
- 2 Shallots (peeled and chopped)
- 2 cloves of Garlic (finely chopped)
- 200 ml of Port
- 400 ml of Chicken Stock
- 2 sticks of Thyme
- 1 pinch of Sea Salt (to taste)
- 2 cracks of Black Pepper (to taste)
- 1 splash of Sherry Vinegar
- 1. Preheat the oven to 170C/Gas4. Season and brown off the Pheasant in a saute pan, remove and pop half a lemon and some thyme into the cavity.
- 2. To start the sauce, chop the bacon and brown off in the same pan, add the chopped shallots, garlic and thyme and cook until they become soft and slightly browned. Add the port and de-glaze the pan. Pop the bird back into the pan and whack in the oven for 40-50 minutes.
- 3. After this time remove the bird from the pan and set aside to rest, add a splash more port to the pan and reduce by half, then add the chicken stock and reduce to a nice thick sauce consistency. In a separate pan melt a knob of butter in a small pan and add a touch of oil, chuck in the baby leeks and cook on a low heat until tender.
- 4. You can serve the bird whole between 2 people or you can break it down, either way it tastes amazing!
You need to login to add me to your cook book! Login here.