French Onion Soup
I love this soup, its all finished off with crunchy baked croutons topped with melted, grilled cheese. proper winter warmer although not very beard friendly...
30 - 40minutes
60 - 80minutes
- 1. First make your croutons begin by cutting your baguette on an angle into bite sized croutons and splash with olive oil and rub the bread with a garlic clove, pop on to a baking tray, Make sure both sides have been lightly coated with the oil and rubbed with garlic. Bake them in the oven for 20-25 minutes till crispy and crunchy and set aside.
- 2. Next place your saucepan on a high heat and melt your oil and butter together. When this is very hot, add the onions and garlic, and keep turning them from time to time until your onions start to catch and caramelise this should take about 6/7 minutes, Then reduce the heat to its lowest setting and leave the onions to carry on cooking slowly for about 30/40 minutes, the base of the pan will be covered with nut brown, caramelised loveliness
- 3. Now pour in your white wine and stock, season with salt and black pepper, then stir with a wooden spoon, scraping the base of the pan well.
- 4. Bring up to simmering point and turn down the heat to its lowest setting, leave it to cook very gently, without a lid, for about an hour.
- 5. When you're ready to serve the soup, bring it up to the boil, taste to check for seasoning, and pour into your bowls, making sure you distribute the cooked onions evenly, pop a couple of crunchy croutons on top of each bowl of soup and cover with grated gruyere,
- 6. Pop your bowls onto an oven tray and put under hot preheated grill until the cheese has fully melted and serve.....
You need to login to add me to your cook book! Login here.