Classic Chicken Liver and Onions
Classic 70's dinner party dish with a modern twist using Port from Just a Splash
10 - 15minutes
20 - 25minutes
- 16 Chicken Livers (trimmed and cleaned)
- 2 Onion (peeled and finely sliced)
- 500 ml of Chicken Stock
- 50 grams of Unsalted Butter
- 200 grams of Basmati Rice
- 1 Pouch of Just A Splash Port
- 20 grams of Plain Flour (for dusting)
- 1 small handful of Flat Leaf Parsley
- 1 pinch of Sea Salt (to taste)
- 2 cracks of Black Pepper (to taste)
- Place a large frying pan onto a medium-high heat and add the sliced onion, a splash of oil and half the butter and cook gently until the onion becomes a lovely golden brown, then add the Just a Splash Port and reduce by half, this will give a real intensity to the finished sauce, when you're at this stage add the chicken stock and reduce by half again.
- Preheat another frying pan on a high heat and add a glug of oil. Lightly dust the chicken livers in flour and lay into the hot pan, cook for 1 minute then flip them over and add the remaining butter, baste the livers and remove from the heat. Add the seared livers into the sauce and bring up to serving temperature, add a small handful of chopped parsley and serve with boiled rice.
You need to login to add me to your cook book! Login here.